It’s heating up outside and summer is right around the corner. It’s also time for our latest wish list as the editors at Entangled Publishing are looking for the next breakout hit. Could that be your book? Make sure to read until the end as we have some special calls as well. Each month, we have a new wish list from our editors. Watch for them as they’ll change monthly. Let’s discover each other today!
All submissions can be sent through our Submittable system. The link can be found here: http://www.entangledpublishing.com/submission-information/
June 2018 wish list
General Entangled submission requests:
- Rom-coms! We love ‘em. Send them all!
- We are always on the hunt for high-concept books featuring marginalized characters. Liz would particularly like to acquire a rom-com with a deaf or blind hero.
Heather Howland, Creative Director of Teen and Senior Editor
- Send me all of your M/F/M ménage, M/M/F ménage, or reverse harem erotic romances! Adult or NA. The books must have a HEA and a satisfying romance. I’m open to contemporary, sci-fi, or paranormal, and would love to see stories featuring characters from all backgrounds.
- I’m searching for the next big YA. Surprise me with your fresh, high-concept plot, and characterizations so vivid they leave me breathless. Strong romantic elements are a must.
- I’d love a swoony YA or NA where an American heroine is a foreign exchange student abroad or moves abroad with her family and falls for a local bad boy. Maybe even the son of her exchange or host family. Give me somewhere interesting—London and Paris are overdone. Bring the international flavor and romantic complications!
- I’d also like to acquire a sexy contemporary NA series. Bonus points if it’s set around a group of men (e.g., brothers, cousins, teams, business partners, military, etc.). I like high stakes, high heat, and high drama.
- Diversity, diversity, diversity. I grew up in a very diverse community and I would love to see characters and stories set in similar environments.
- PLEASE NOTE: At this time, I’m not interested in celebrities, politicians, chefs/caterers/bakers/foodies, makeover books, second-chance romance, reliving the same day(s), time travel, aliens, fire fighters, or dragon shifters.
- Send your submissions to my attention via https://entangledpublishing.submittable.com/submit/. Looking forward to the reads!
Karen Grove, Senior Editor
Above all, I’m looking for strong characters, fresh settings, witty dialogue, and high-concept stories.
- Tropes: opposites attract, enemies to lovers, forbidden romance, boss/employee
- Characters: protector, tortured hero, matchmaker, blue collar business owners
- Settings: professional retreats (dude ranches, wilderness survival school, adventure travel groups), training academies (think West Point, fire academy, police academy, swift-water rescue, coast guard academy), wineries (would love a series based around a family wine business)
- Categories: romantic comedies, suspense, biological terrorism/medical thriller, adventure travel, strong women’s fiction
Kate Brauning, Senior Editor
- YA with aliens—paranormal, sci-fi, any genre but show me a clever, gripping twist.
- YA that gets out of the school and into work settings—internships, emergency responder training, summers working dangerous jobs.
- Contemporary adult romance featuring firefighters, swift water rescue, paramedics, and other emergency rescue teams. Bonus points for rivalries and team competitions!
- Women’s fiction with a strong love story as the spine/plot, especially if there’s a domestic suspense angle. Something like Big Little Lies but a romance spine. Sibling dynamics, unique family businesses, unusual expertise, and themes of identity, belonging, and ambition are especially fascinating to me.
- Historical romance set in areas beyond England or the U.S., especially featuring women who have trades/careers
- Workplace investigation/fraud/hacking adult romance! Especially from an author who’s been there. I love insider detail and everyday heroes/heroines in unusual, high-stakes circumstances.
Heidi Shoham, Senior Editor
- Send me your high concept stories with one or a combination of the following:
- Hot, wealthy alpha heroes intent on sweeping everyday heroines off their feet.
- Sassy and sexy romances that’ll make me laugh out loud and swoon all at once.
- Sweet small-town romances with a rich Hallmark’esque quality.
- Hot, erotic romances that push the boundaries.
- Cowboys, cowboys, cowboys (Always. Because of course always cowboys 😀 )
- Men in uniform/veterans/first responders.
- Angsty, broken heroes—bonus points for a snarky sense of humor covering up all that hurt.
- Category romances with characters aged 35 to 45. Really want layered, emotional stories with likable heroines, hot heroes, authentic dialogue, and strong and believable conflicts that go beyond “I was burned in the past”.
Wendy Chen, Editor
Wendy Chen is looking for a new Bliss or Indulgence voice, with a sweet heroine who loves animals, and a brainy non-American hero and/or foreign setting. I also love tropes that involve babies—instant family, single dads, surprise pregnancy.
Alycia Tornetta, Editorial Director
- Fresh takes on classic tropes.
- Small town romance
- Romantic comedy with strong hook and tropes
- Royal books
- baby books where there are multiples (twins/triplets)
- alpha boss billionaires with a fun/fresh premise
- Foreign heroes
- Own voices/ diverse authors and characters
- Contemporary in the vein of Grown-ish and Dear White People but set at high school.
- Something set around a school election. Maybe enemies to lovers with candidates falling for each other. Sabotage of other campaigns, etc.
- Historical fantasy
- Diverse authors and stories
- Fantasy with a strong, slow burn romance and big stakes
- Historical with a fun, fresh voice (think The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue)
- Historical YA in the vein of Reign. Something set around royal court, like for Queen Elizabeth or Mary/etc.
- Something John Hughes-ish in feel. Teen angst, fun plot, characters from different cliques coming together.
- Guilty pleasure, high drama read. Something that deals with the super rich or powerful.
Candace Havens, Editorial Director of Embrace and Amara
AMARA: We’re looking for big stories, with memorable characters, and a strong romance (or romances) throughout. In contemporary, we want those big ideas with a fun twist. Historical we want Vikings, Regencies, and we’re always happy about Highlanders. In paranormal, we’re looking for big, high-concept ideas with brotherhoods or band of brothers type stories. And we want high-stakes thrillers with a strong, slow-burn romance. We are especially seeking diverse stories with high concept ideas. These novels must be 80k and above.
EMBRACE: We’re looking for big stories with sexy romances that have characters either in late university life or just starting out in “real life.” We are especially seeking diverse stories and high concept ideas.
Tera Cuskaden, Editorial Director for Scorched
- High concept plots I can sell in one sentence.
- Think stepdads, preachers, step-siblings, a parent’s best friend, an old teacher from high school (though the younger character cannot still be in high school), etc. Use your imagination!
- I’m looking for romance with great romantic tension between alpha males and strong, relatable heroines. I’d also love to see alpha subs!
- I’m particularly interested in menage/multiples, relatable heroines, alpha men, LGBTQ, diversity, and royalty. I want super hot stories that while at an erotic heat level with the sexual interaction occurring within the first chapter or two also heavily focus on the romance. All stories must contain an HEA or HFN. I’m open to 1st and 3rd person, and I prefer dual POVs, though I’m not closed to single POVs. I’m also looking at all subgenres for Scorched, not just contemporary romance, though I love contemporary! I’m a fan of Megan Hart, Maya Banks, Lorelei James, Tiffany Reisz, Sylvia Day, Madison Faye, Jenika Snow, Penny Wylder, and Alexa Riley.
- Menage paranormal and sci-fi romance. Think breeders, fated mates and/or a woman bonded to multiple men.
- Tropes I love: Best friend’s sibling, class warfare, enemies to lovers, fake engagement/relationship, fish out of water, fling, forbidden love, friends to lovers, opposites attract, redemption, protector, return to hometown, revenge, sibling’s ex-spouse, stranded, royalty.
For All Other Entangled Imprints
- High concept plots that will sell in one sentence.
- I’d love to see romances with single dads.
- Romantic suspense/thrillers. I’d love to see stories with a more psychological basis.
- Sexy contemporaries featuring everyday, relatable heroines (think teacher, nurse, veterinarian, etc.), and above-average heroes (though they don’t have to be billionaires, unless you’re targeting Indulgence).
- Manuscripts targeted toward the Indulgence imprint (Here’s where those billionaires come into play!)
- Men in uniform or veterans.
- Sports stories.
- Women on vacation and/or stories taking place in exotic locales.
- I’m looking for paranormal romance with great romantic tension between alpha males and strong, relatable heroines. I’m open to all genres and themes, though I am specifically looking for shifters (big cats and bears in particular), vampires, and science fiction/fantasy with crossover elements, such as shifters and/or vampires.
- Contemporary-based sci-fi. Think DNA-enhanced soldiers, super soldiers, medical issues, military, artificial intelligence, hackers and international espionage, and Outbreak.
- I would love to see sci-fi stories in the style of 12 Monkeys, Firefly, and Star Wars.
- Tropes I love: Best friend’s sibling, class warfare, enemies to lovers, fake engagement/relationship, fish out of water, fling, forbidden love, friends to lovers, military, opposites attract, redemption, protector, return to hometown, revenge, sibling’s ex-spouse, stranded, royalty.
Questions: Word Count required? Which Editor would you suggest might be interested in:
“The Common Touch” a sweet romance with a touch of danger, completed. Fingers crossed I am asked to submit the whole book. Major Zara Dare is requested and required to take on security duties for his Highness Prince James. Well, after the shooting competition in Ottawa. The same tournament she has won two years in a row. Zara isn’t sure if Sandhurst, as she thinks of him, will ditch her as he has his other security or continue to follow her around.
Edits continue on “Death and Cupcakes” the first Musgrave Landing cozy mystery. Jane Westcott and Jack Birch get caught up in the murder investigation of the village mayor. Could the murderer be Dirk, a fellow councillor? The mayor’s long suffering wife, or the other woman? Jane didn’t plan on any of this when she moved back after the death of her aunt to inherit the cafe or for the cryptic letter from said aunt, stolen by the murder victim.