Starbucks announced their pumpkin spice lattes are back and it’s almost cold out. Almost. Unless you live in Southern California, and you’re happy it’s under 100 degrees because it’ll be 113 again soon. I wish I was joking, but I’m not. Happy cold thoughts until then. It’s also time for our latest wish list as the editors at Entangled Publishing are looking for the next breakout hit. Could that be your book? Make sure to read until the end as we have some special calls as well. Each month, we have a new wish list from our editors. Watch for them as they’ll change monthly. Let’s discover each other today!
All submissions can be sent through our Submittable system. The link can be found here: http://www.entangledpublishing.com/submission-information/
September 2018 wish list
General Entangled submission requests:
- Rom-coms! We love ‘em. Send them all!
- We are always on the hunt for high-concept books featuring marginalized characters.
Alethea Spiridon, Senior Editor
- I’d like a road-trip romance for any line.
Alycia Tornetta, Editorial Director
- Sweet, small-town romances with fresh meet-cutes/takes on tropes. (Coastal settings welcome!)
- Romantic comedies with heart
- Sexy contemporary featuring SEAL heroes
- High-concept premises with lots of romantic tension
- Historical romance with a fun hook
- Fish out of water trope in an unexpected setting
- Bookshop setting
- Women’s fiction in the vein of Emily Giffin and Madie Dawson. Romantic, complex, and thought-provoking.
- An interesting/different take on having to repeat a day over and over
- Historical/ Historical fantasy
- Bold, timely stories from diverse authors
- Different narrative structure (nonlinear timeline, unreliable narrator, etc)
- Fantasy with slow burn romance
Candace Havens, Editorial Director of Embrace and AMARA digital
AMARA: We’re looking for big stories, with memorable characters, and a strong romance (or romances) throughout. In contemporary, we want those big ideas with a fun twist. Historical we want Vikings, Regencies, and we’re always happy about Highlanders. In paranormal, we’re looking for big, high-concept ideas with brotherhoods or band of brothers type stories. And we want high-stakes thrillers with a strong, slow-burn romance. We are especially seeking diverse stories with high concept ideas. These novels must be 80k and above.
EMBRACE: We’re looking for big stories with sexy romances that have characters either in late university life or just starting out in “real life.” We are especially seeking diverse stories and high concept ideas.
Heather Howland, Senior Editor
- I’m looking for sexy, high-concept rom coms (adult and new adult) with an unexpected story angle and characters who have a clear goal.
- I’m always up for scorching hot contemporary erotic romance. Send me your alpha (but not asshole) heroes and whatever pairing(s) lights their fire.
Lydia Sharp, Editor & Acquisitions Manager
- YA fantasy and YA sci-fi, large-scope stories with a fresh concept and high stakes plot; open to all types of sci-fi and fantasy
- YA mystery/thriller with unconventional narrative structure and/or mixed formats; stories that keep you guessing until the end
- YA contemporary with a light paranormal or sci-fi element for the Crave line; see guidelines for Crave before submitting
- NA romantic suspense with fun character dynamics and a lighter, adventurous tone rather than dark/deep/serious; a light paranormal or sci-fi element is okay
- NA f/f or m/m contemporary romance, character-driven with a fresh concept; drama or comedy or a mix of both
- Adult – hot romantic comedy in the 80-85K range; fun stories with substance, a fresh concept, and emotional resonance; characters with interesting careers, atypical family situations, and/or pursuits
Wendy Chen, Editor
Wendy Chen is looking for a fresh voice for Bliss or August imprints. I would love a small town coastal setting with a pet-loving hero and a funny, witty heroine. Truly modern voice and high romantic tension is a must. Diverse main and secondary characters welcome and encouraged.
Leave a Reply