Fa, la, la, la, la, la, la, la. Is everyone decking their halls, and baking cookies yet? We are. We have holiday music on repeat! (Only 20 days until Christmas)!
Our editors at Entangled Publishing are always looking for the next breakout hit. Could that be your book? Make sure to read until the end as we have some special calls as well. Each month, we have a new wish list from our editors. Watch for them as they’ll change monthly. Let’s discover each other today! All submissions can be sent through our Submittable system. The link can be found here: http://www.entangledpublishing.com/submission-information/
December 2017 wish list
Submissions Call for Scandalous
We’re actively seeking new voices in historical romance for our Scandalous imprint! We want more Highlanders, Vikings, Regency, and Victorian. We prefer smart, confident heroines whether they be innocent or world-wise, and strong, commanding heroes whether they be rough or refined. If you have a fresh take on proven category tropes, such as marriage of convenience, spinster/wallflower, governess, enemies to lovers, fake engagement, etc, we want to see it!
Please read the detailed guidelines for Scandalous, here: https://entangledpublishing.com/scandalous-submission-guidelines/
And if you think you and your books are a fit, submit here: https://entangledpublishing.submittable.com/submit/19013/scandalous
Alethea Spiridon, Editorial Director of Scandalous
I’m looking for great stories with phenomenal characters who make me want to keep turning the pages and want to know how their story ends. Make me laugh, make me cry, make me forget the world for a while. Preferred lines right now are Bliss, Indulgence, Amara, Scandalous, and August, but anything goes if your characters and story are well crafted and fresh. A romp of a story like Wendy Holden writes would make this editor’s year. Make sure you use tropes and have ample romantic conflict!
Alycia Tornetta, Editorial Director of Bliss
- Super sexy trope-driven contemporary romance. Should have a strong hook.
- For Indulgence: Rich alpha heroes who have hearts of gold on the inside and fall for strong-willed heroines. I’m looking for fresh takes on enemies to lovers, marriage of convenience, falling for the boss, etc. International heroes are a plus, also exotic locales.
- Small town romance that has heart. Every day heroes and heroines, quirky townsfolk, and strong conflict is a must. I’d love it if the premise or story involved something quintessentially small town like a cook-off, harvest festival, or Founder’s Day event. (Hart of Dixie and Gilmore Girls have lots of examples for inspiration.)
- Forced proximity stories. Not necessarily trapped in a snow storm but where the two end up sharing the same living space (or work space) for a period of time. Think two opposites inheriting the same house or business, or two enemies accidentally staying at the same friend’s vacation home.
- For Scandalous: Victorian, regency, and highlanders! I love alpha heroes who are a bit of a rake. I love scandals, quirky wallflower heroines, and fresh takes on classic tropes. Looking for great voices and compelling stories.
- For Lovestruck: romantic comedy that has a great hook. Mistaken identity, enemies to lovers, blackmail. Really looking for fun, fresh voices with a new take on classic tropes. Must have a memorable meet-cute (think Reality Bites—she flicks her cigarette into his car at a light, causing him to crash into her—or Singin’ in the Rain—an oldie but a goodie!)
- Swoony, super romantic contemporary YA. Should be trope-driven. I.e. Friends to lovers, boy next door, enemies, etc. I’m looking for strong conflict, lots of romantic tension, and a slow burn. No insta-love. If it’s LGBT, the conflict shouldn’t be about coming out.
- Magical fantasy or historical with magical/fantasy elements. Should have a romantic plot.
- High-concept contemporary that has a romantic plot. Think Kasie West, Nicola Yoon, Sandhya Menon.
- Contemporary-based sci-fi.
- I’d love something John Hughes-ish. Teen angst, fun plot, characters from different groups coming together.
- Guilty pleasure, high drama read. Something that deals with the super rich or powerful.
Candace Havens, Editorial Director of Embrace and Amara
- Embrace: We’re looking for high-concept stories that feature a great romance with college or just out of college heroes and heroines. We love heroes with accents, preferably, British, Irish or Scottish, and we like them Alpha. American heroes are great, just so you know. But no whiny heroes. Study abroad stories, intern first job stories, it’s actually wide open to those first experiences of adulthood. We need contemporary and paranormal stories that have a great twist and are relatable.
- Amara: We’re looking for unforgettable romances with big, high-concept, compelling stories, with strong heroes and heroines who can go toe-to-toe with them. Contemporary: Office romance, military romance, small town with a twist, big city “Friends” kind of stories. Think Jill Shalvis, Kristin Higgins and Susan Elizabeth Phillips. Paranormal: Vamps, werewolves, cyborgs (with mostly human parts), lots of great world building with a strong romantic arc. If you’re a budding Gena Showalter or Kresley Cole, we should chat. Historical: We want these historicals to read like contemporary romances with a great pace, snappy dialogue and characters we’ll never forget. Lorraine Heath is a good example of that kind of writing. We’re looking for Scottish Highlanders, Regency, Victorian and Vikings. Suspense: Bring us your thrillers with a strong romantic arc.
Heather Howland, Creative Director of Teen and Editorial Director of Lovestruck
- I’m on the hunt for a high-concept bad boy YA romance for Crush and/or Teen Print. My list is full of nice guys and sweet romance, and it’s time to go bad…
- I’d love a swoony YA where an American heroine is a foreign exchange student abroad and falls for a local. Maybe even the son of her exchange family. I’m craving a little heat and, again, a bit of a bad boy. Bring the international flavor and romantic complications!
- Again with the bad boys, I’m a massive Jason Bourne fan. I’d love a YA (yep, a teen assassin of some sort) in that vein. He’d be a tricky character to pull off in a relatable, believable way (especially as a teen), but I bet there’s an author up to the challenge. And of course, I want a strong romance.
- I want to acquire a super steamy single-title contemporary series featuring unapologetic asshole heroes whose attitudes are a smokescreen for the kind of redeemable heart only the heroine can draw out of him. I want the heroines in this series to be relatable, everyday girls who have a mind of their own and a mindset that they can make the world a better place, no matter how small their contribution. Depending on the characters’ ages, this could go Amara (adult) or Embrace (new adult).
- Send me your M/F/M or M/M/F ménage for our Scorched imprint. The books must have a HEA and a satisfying romance. I’m open to contemporary or paranormal.
- PLEASE NOTE: At this time, I’m not interested in celebrities, politicians, chefs/caterers/bakers/foodies, makeover books, second-chance romance, reliving the same day(s), or time travel.
Heidi Shoham, Editorial Director of August and Indulgence
AUGUST: Have you heard about our new category romance line with characters aged 35 to 45? August is all about people with a little more life experience under their belts getting their happily ever afters. I’m looking for layered, emotional stories, likable and relatable heroines, hot heroes, authentic dialogue, and strong and believable conflict! I want characters looking at that next stage of their lives – empty nesters, people starting over and/or maybe on their second time around. I need strong conflict here, more than just an ex who burned them and gave them trust issues.
Imprint wide, I’m always looking for:
- Fresh voices that put a unique spin on old favorites.
- Wealthy, alpha Indulgence heroes intent on sweeping likable heroines of their feet.
- Cute small-town romances with a rich Hallmark’esque quality.
- Sassy and sexy romances that’ll make me laugh out loud and swoon all at once.
- Hot, erotic romance that pushes the boundaries and makes me blush.
- Cowboys, cowboys, cowboys.
- Men in uniform/veterans/first responders.
- Angsty heroes with a snarky sense of humor (a la Dean Winchester).
- High concept plots that can sell a story in one sentence!
If you have anything you think hits these marks, submit your manuscript via Submittable to my attention. Anyone with questions can email me at heidishoham (at) entangledpublishing (dot) com or find me on social media.
Kate Brauning, Senior Editor
- High-concept polyamorous adult erotica with heart, depth, and really sharp or beautiful prose for our Scorched imprint.
- Emergency responder and workplace investigation/fraud/hacking adult romance! Especially from an author who’s been there. I love insider detail and everyday heroes.
- YA that gets out of the school and into work settings—internships, emergency responder training, summers working dangerous jobs.
- F/F YA contemporary with a deep, high-tension romance and physical stakes. Give me a book girlfriend. #ownvoices M/M in a similar vein— I want something deep and heartfelt and urgent, like Ian & Mickey from Shameless.
- Beyond genre, I always want big stories about fascinating people, emotional depth with a lot of human insight, and vibrant, personality-filled voice that shows a mind at work.
Lydia Sharp, Editor
I’d love to see more fresh concepts in adventure-driven YA fantasy and sci-fi, set in the past, present, or future on Earth. Nothing off-planet for sci-fi and no made-up fantasy worlds (at this time). Must have a commercial hook, brisk pacing, and a vital romantic element—if you remove the romance, the story would fall apart. I want flawed characters with a smart, witty voice, tough choices to make, and conflicts not easily resolved. Show me stakes so high and obstacles so wide they seem impossible to overcome. Send me on a thrill ride that leaves me breathless and begging for more.
Tera Cuskaden, Editorial Director of Scorched
- High concept plots I can sell in one sentence.
- Think stepdads, preachers, step-siblings, a parent’s best friend, an old teacher from high school (though the younger character cannot still be in high school), etc. Use your imagination!
- I’m looking for romance with great romantic tension between alpha males and strong, relatable heroines. I’d also love to see alpha subs!
- I’m particularly interested in menage/multiples, relatable heroines, alpha men, LGBTQ, diversity, and royalty. I want super-hot stories that while at an erotic heat level with the sexual interaction occurring within the first chapter or two also heavily focus on the romance. All stories must contain an HEA or HFN. I’m open to 1st and 3rd person, and I prefer dual POVs, though I’m not closed to single POVs. I’m also looking at all subgenres for Scorched, not just contemporary romance, though I love contemporary! I’m a fan of Megan Hart, Maya Banks, Lorelei James, Tiffany Reisz, Sylvia Day, Madison Faye, Jenika Snow, Penny Wylder, and Alexa Riley.
- Menage paranormal and sci-fi romance. Think breeders, fated mates and/or a woman bonded to multiple men.
- Tropes I love: Best friend’s sibling, class warfare, enemies to lovers, fake engagement/relationship, fish out of water, forbidden love, friends to lovers, opposites attract, redemption, protector, return to hometown, revenge, sibling’s ex-spouse, stranded, royalty.
For All Other Entangled Imprints
- High concept plots that will sell in one sentence.
- I’d love to see romances with single dads.
- Romantic suspense/thrillers. I’d love to see stories with a more psychological basis.
- Sexy contemporaries featuring everyday, relatable heroines (think teacher, nurse, veterinarian, etc.), and above-average heroes (though they don’t have to be billionaires, unless you’re targeting Indulgence).
- Manuscripts targeted toward the Indulgence imprint (Here’s where those billionaires come into play!)
- Men in uniform or veterans.
- Sports stories.
- Women on vacation and/or stories taking place in exotic locales.
- I’m looking for paranormal romance with great romantic tension between alpha males and strong, relatable heroines. I’m open to all genres and themes, though I am specifically looking for shifters (big cats and bears in particular), vampires, and science fiction/fantasy with crossover elements, such as shifters and/or vampires.
- Contemporary-based sci-fi. Think DNA-enhanced soldiers, super soldiers, medical issues, military, artificial intelligence, hackers and international espionage, and Outbreak.
- I would love to see sci-fi stories in the style of 12 Monkeys, Firefly, and Star Wars.
- Tropes I love: Best friend’s sibling, class warfare, enemies to lovers, fake engagement/relationship, fish out of water, fling, forbidden love, friends to lovers, military, opposites attract, redemption, protector, return to hometown, revenge, sibling’s ex-spouse, stranded, royalty.
Wendy Chen, Editor
Wendy Chen would love to find a fresh new contemporary voice for Bliss. I’d love to read about a surprise baby, a hero who stands up for what’s right even if those around him think it’s wrong, and a heroine who works with animals.