We love that it’s finally May. Take time out to smell the spring flowers, and also make sure to take a look at our latest wish list as the editors at Entangled Publishing are looking for the next breakout hit. Could that be your book? Make sure to read until the end as we have some special calls as well. Each month, we have a new wish list from our editors. Watch for them as they’ll change monthly. Let’s discover each other today!
All submissions can be sent through our Submittable system. The link can be found here: http://www.entangledpublishing.com/submission-information/
May 2018 wish list
General Entangled submission requests:
- Rom-coms! We love ‘em. Send them all!
- We are always on the hunt for high-concept books featuring marginalized characters. Liz would particularly like to acquire a rom-com with a deaf or blind hero.
Heather Howland, Creative Director of Teen and Senior Editor
- I’m looking for erotic romance authors to participate in a special project. Must be willing to write diverse groups of characters from all walks of life. Bonus points if you write ménage! Send me links to your published erotic romances, a sample of the best sex scene you’ve written, and a list of kinks you like/don’t like to write. You can reach me at heather (at) entangledpublishing (dot) com.
- Send me all of your super sexy contemporary NA books!! I especially love series set around a group of men (e.g., brothers, cousins, teams, business partners, military, etc.).
- I’m searching for the next big YA. Surprise me with your fresh, high-concept plot, and characterizations so vivid they leave me breathless. Romantic elements are a must.
- I’d love a swoony YA or NA where an American heroine is a foreign exchange student abroad or moves abroad with her family and falls for a local bad boy. Maybe even the son of her exchange or host family. Give me somewhere interesting—Europe is overdone. Bring the international flavor and romantic complications!
- Send me your M/F/M or M/M/F ménage. The books must have a HEA and a satisfying romance. I’m open to contemporary or paranormal, and would love to see stories featuring characters from all backgrounds.
- Diversity, diversity, diversity. I grew up in a very diverse community and I would love to see characters and stories set in similar circumstances.
- PLEASE NOTE: At this time, I’m not interested in celebrities, politicians, chefs/caterers/bakers/foodies, makeover books, second-chance romance, reliving the same day(s), time travel, aliens, fire fighters, or dragon shifters.
- Send your submissions to my attention via https://entangledpublishing.submittable.com/submit/. Looking forward to the reads!
Alycia Tornetta, Editorial Director
- Fresh takes on classic tropes.
- Small town romance
- Romantic comedy with strong hook and tropes
- Royal books
- baby books where there are multiples (twins/triplets)
- alpha boss billionaires with a fun/fresh premise
- Foreign heroes
- Own voices/ diverse authors and characters
- Contemporary in the vein of Grown-ish and Dear White People but set at high school.
- Something set around a school election. Maybe enemies to lovers with candidates falling for each other. Sabotage of other campaigns, etc.
- Historical fantasy
- Diverse authors and stories
- Fantasy with a strong, slow burn romance and big stakes
- Historical with a fun, fresh voice (think The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue)
- Historical YA in the vein of Reign. Something set around royal court, like for Queen Elizabeth or Mary/etc.
- Something John Hughes-ish in feel. Teen angst, fun plot, characters from different cliques coming together.
- Guilty pleasure, high drama read. Something that deals with the super rich or powerful.
Candace Havens, Editorial Director of Embrace and Amara
AMARA: We’re looking for big stories, with memorable characters, and a strong romance (or romances) throughout. In contemporary, we want those big ideas with a fun twist. Historical we want Vikings, Regencies, and we’re always happy about Highlanders. In paranormal, we’re looking for big, high-concept ideas with brotherhoods or band of brothers type stories. And we want high-stakes thrillers with a strong, slow-burn romance. We are especially seeking diverse stories with high concept ideas. These novels must be 80k and above.
EMBRACE: We’re looking for big stories with sexy romances that have characters either in late university life or just starting out in “real life.” We are especially seeking diverse stories and high concept ideas.
Tera Cuskaden, Editorial Director for Scorched
- High concept plots I can sell in one sentence.
- Think stepdads, preachers, step-siblings, a parent’s best friend, an old teacher from high school (though the younger character cannot still be in high school), etc. Use your imagination!
- I’m looking for romance with great romantic tension between alpha males and strong, relatable heroines. I’d also love to see alpha subs!
- I’m particularly interested in menage/multiples, relatable heroines, alpha men, LGBTQ, diversity, and royalty. I want super hot stories that while at an erotic heat level with the sexual interaction occurring within the first chapter or two also heavily focus on the romance. All stories must contain an HEA or HFN. I’m open to 1st and 3rd person, and I prefer dual POVs, though I’m not closed to single POVs. I’m also looking at all subgenres for Scorched, not just contemporary romance, though I love contemporary! I’m a fan of Megan Hart, Maya Banks, Lorelei James, Tiffany Reisz, Sylvia Day, Madison Faye, Jenika Snow, Penny Wylder, and Alexa Riley.
- Menage paranormal and sci-fi romance. Think breeders, fated mates and/or a woman bonded to multiple men.
- Tropes I love: Best friend’s sibling, class warfare, enemies to lovers, fake engagement/relationship, fish out of water, fling, forbidden love, friends to lovers, opposites attract, redemption, protector, return to hometown, revenge, sibling’s ex-spouse, stranded, royalty.
For All Other Entangled Imprints
- High concept plots that will sell in one sentence.
- I’d love to see romances with single dads.
- Romantic suspense/thrillers. I’d love to see stories with a more psychological basis.
- Sexy contemporaries featuring everyday, relatable heroines (think teacher, nurse, veterinarian, etc.), and above-average heroes (though they don’t have to be billionaires, unless you’re targeting Indulgence).
- Manuscripts targeted toward the Indulgence imprint (Here’s where those billionaires come into play!)
- Men in uniform or veterans.
- Sports stories.
- Women on vacation and/or stories taking place in exotic locales.
- I’m looking for paranormal romance with great romantic tension between alpha males and strong, relatable heroines. I’m open to all genres and themes, though I am specifically looking for shifters (big cats and bears in particular), vampires, and science fiction/fantasy with crossover elements, such as shifters and/or vampires.
- Contemporary-based sci-fi. Think DNA-enhanced soldiers, super soldiers, medical issues, military, artificial intelligence, hackers and international espionage, and Outbreak.
- I would love to see sci-fi stories in the style of 12 Monkeys, Firefly, and Star Wars.
- Tropes I love: Best friend’s sibling, class warfare, enemies to lovers, fake engagement/relationship, fish out of water, fling, forbidden love, friends to lovers, military, opposites attract, redemption, protector, return to hometown, revenge, sibling’s ex-spouse, stranded, royalty.
Alethea Spiridon, Senior Editor
- I’d like a road-trip romance for any line.
Erin Molta, Senior Editor
- Viking romance—either single title or category: Sassy and wicked shield maidens or just any maiden, even thralls—male or female—alpha-male heroes (with tender hearts), and witty banter are a plus.
- Regency—high concept, perhaps revenge, or across the tracks. Again, strong heroines with titled men who have met their match, single title or category.
- AOC—I’d love to see your stories in historical. Regency preferred but I’m open to looking at anything. Compelling characters in high concept plots in any era can make my day!
Heidi Shoham, Senior Editor
I’m looking for high concept stories with one or a combination of the following:
- Super wealthy alpha heroes intent on sweeping everyday heroines off their feet.
- Sassy and sexy romances with great meet-cutes that’ll make me laugh out loud and swoon all at once.
- Sweet small-town romances with a rich Hallmark-esque quality.
- Hot, erotic romances that push the boundaries.
- Cowboys, cowboys, cowboys.
- Men in uniform/veterans/first responders.
- Angsty, broken heroes—bonus points for a snarky sense of humor covering up all that hurt.
- Category romances with characters aged 35 to 45. These need to be layered, emotional stories with likable heroines, hot heroes, authentic dialogue, and strong and believable conflict.
If you have anything that hits these marks, submit your manuscript via Submittable to my attention. Anyone with questions can email me at heidishoham (at) entangledpublishing (dot) com or find me on social media.
Karen Grove, Senior Editor
- Strong alpha “protector” stories. Think firefighter, military, search & rescue, coast guard, EMT, security forces, etc. Even better if it includes enemies to lovers, opposites attract, or forbidden romance.
- An “office” romance where the office is something along the lines of a professional retreat (think City Slickers), dude ranch, wilderness survival, or adventure travel. Can be coworkers, boss/employee, business rivals, or even instructor/student, where hero or heroine (or both) are out of their comfort zones.
- High-concept suspense that features biological terrorism, medical thrillers, or psychological warfare.
- Would love a quirky rom-com that has great, witty banter that makes me laugh and a Hallmark-esque feel-good.
- A New Adult featuring unusual settings such as working in a National Park, wilderness survival, summer dude ranch, fire academy, military academy, where teams become family.
Above all, I want a really strong hook (let me imagine it with one sentence) and well-developed characters.
Kate Brauning, Senior Editor
- A K9 search and rescue series—more focused on missing person cases and search and rescue/natural disasters than national security or suspect apprehension.
- Contemporary adult romance featuring firefighters, swift water rescue (YES PLEASE), paramedics, and other emergency rescue teams. Bonus points for rivalries and team competitions!
- Women’s fiction with a strong love story as the spine/plot, especially if there’s a domestic suspense angle. Something like Big Little Lies but a romance spine. Sibling dynamics, unique family businesses, unusual expertise, and themes of identity, belonging, and ambition are especially fascinating to me.
- Historical romance set in areas beyond England or the U.S., especially featuring women who have trades/careers
- Workplace investigation/fraud/hacking adult romance! Especially from an author who’s been there. I love insider detail and everyday heroes/heroines in unusual, high-stakes circumstances.
- YA that gets out of the school and into work settings—internships, emergency responder training, summers working dangerous jobs.
- F/F YA contemporary with a deep, high-tension romance and physical stakes. Give me a book girlfriend. #ownvoices M/M in a similar vein—I want something deep and heartfelt and urgent, like Ian & Mickey from Shameless.
Wendy Chen, Editor
Wendy Chen would love to find a modern new Bliss voice, with a sweet heroine who loves animals, a brainy hero, and a plot that has high emotional tension and conflict. My favorite tropes include instant family, revenge, enemies to lovers, older brother’s best friend.