It’s almost summer and it’s also the beginning of June and you know what that means! The editors at Entangled Publishing are always looking for the next breakout hit. Could that be your book? Make sure to read until the end as we have some special calls as well. Each month, we have a new wish list from our editors. Watch for them as they’ll change monthly. Let’s discover each other today! All submissions can be sent through our Submittable system. The link can be found here: http://www.entangledpublishing.com/submission-information/
Candace Havens, Editorial Director for Embrace
Embrace is looking for stories that are heart-pounding in multiple ways. A first job in a dangerous field, not law enforcement, but maybe spies or something like the Thomas Crown Affair. We’d also like some hot British and Scottish dudes at a European university and maybe the females are American studying there. First jobs that are somewhat exotic, maybe in a foreign land. And we could use some romantic comedies with first jobs, first time at college, or internships.
Heather Howland, Senior Editor and Editorial Director of Lovestruck
- I’d love a series set during something like the blackout that hit San Francisco this past April. A widespread blackout would make a great meet-cute for a “strangers-to-lovers stranded in the subway” story! I can also see fender benders in crazy intersections, a firefighter trying to rescue a pretty girl from a broken elevator, only to have the power go out again and trap him with her. Bonus points if the book is set in San Francisco, Portland, or Seattle. I’m a west coast girl and don’t see enough stories set in my part of the world.
- I’m also interested in foreign-born heroes living and falling in love here in the US. I’d love to see an Irish-American bar owner, complete with accent, set somewhere like Chicago. Or maybe a sexy a Samoan-American or Tongan-American who runs a repair shop with his brothers/cousins in either northern or southern California? Bring on the tribal tattoos, family loyalty, and take charge personalities!
All other imprints:
- Do you write ménage? I want an erotic romance for our Scorched imprint that features multiple men/one woman ménage, the more alpha the men, the better. I’m a fan of Lora Leigh and Maya Banks’ ménage series, so I’d love something hot like those. Relatable heroine and HEA is a must!
- I have a spot open on my NA list, and I want to fill it with something super Send me your new-to-college/transfer student (18-20 yo) heroines falling into bed with an upperclassman with a bad reputation…or go a little more taboo and give her a hot night with an uber sexy guy who winds up being her TA. I’d also be down with a relatable coed tackling her internship and getting tangled up with her gorgeous new boss. The more emotionally invested I am, the better.
- My Teen list is nearly full, but I could be open to the right project. If you have something super high concept, either in the speculative or contemporary romance genres, I’ll take a look. My favorite speculative books are so close to possible, it’s scary. Contemporary has to have a mega hook. I’m still interested in a story featuring a group of teens (friends or not) who get mixed up in a dangerous situation when one of them is found murdered. Did I mention I like darker books?
- On the flip side, I’m obsessed with swoony YA category romance for our Crush Most of my authors write good guys, so I want a bad boy. Knock him on his ass with a good girl heroine who doesn’t take his crap, and I’ll be eating out of your hand. Kissing is required. Beyond that is optional, and will be handled delicately.
I’m currently not interested in: weddings, politicians, makeover books, Groundhog Day-style plotlines, time travel, PR firms repairing reputations, women fixing men, bakeries/restaurants/food-related professions, baseball players (I have several), firefighters (even more blasphemous, but I have several of these, too), or snarky/mouthy heroines.
Kate Brauning, Senior Editor
- Light YA sci-fi set on Earth in modern-day with a strong romance.
- Sweet to spicy adult romance that revolves around clever and unusual meet-cutes, especially with strong setting and a strong community feel. Bonus points for LGBTQ+.
- Adult romantic suspense, especially featuring hackers
- Adult international espionage and CIA/FBI thrillers with heat.
- NA romance with a unique twist we haven’t seen before.
- Sports-centric YA romance
Robin Haseltine, Editor
I’m looking for high concept romantic comedy for the Lovestruck, Scandalous, or Brazen imprints, as well as contemporary or historical single-title for our Amara imprint. Smart, slick dialogue or Regency double entendre banter is a plus. Robin loves couples who zing with electric attraction but also know how to share a few laughs. Heroes should be strong and sexy, heroines should be sassy and fun, and falling in love should be the heart of the story.
Stephen Morgan, Editor
Tera Cuskaden, Senior Editor and Editorial Director of Scorched
- High concept plots I can sell in one sentence.
- I’m looking for romance with great romantic tension between alpha males and strong, relatable heroines. I’d also love to see alpha subs!
- I’m particularly interested in menage, relatable heroines, alpha men, LGBTQ, diversity, royalty, and taboos. I want super hot stories that while at an erotic heat level, also heavily focus on the romance. All stories must contain an HEA or HFN. I’m open to 1st and 3rd person, and I prefer dual POVs, though I’m not closed to single POVs. I’m also looking at all subgenres for Scorched, not just contemporary romance, though I love contemporary! I’m a fan of Megan Hart, Maya Banks, Lorelei James, Tiffany Reisz, Sylvia Day, and Alexa Riley.
- Menage paranormal and sci-fi romance. Think fated mates and/or a woman bonded to two men.
- High concept plots that will sell in one sentence.
- I’d love to see romances with single dads.
- Romantic suspense/thrillers. I’d love to see stories with a more psychological basis.
- Sexy contemporaries featuring everyday, relatable heroines (think teacher, nurse, veterinarian, etc.), and above-average heroes (though they don’t have to be billionaires, unless you’re targeting Indulgence).
- Manuscripts targeted toward the Indulgence imprint (Here’s where those billionaires come into play!)
- Men in uniform or veterans.
- Sports stories.
- Women on vacation and/or stories taking place in exotic locales.
- I’m looking for paranormal romance with great romantic tension between alpha males and strong, relatable heroines. I’m open to all genres and themes, though I am specifically looking for shifters (big cats and bears in particular), vampires, and science fiction/fantasy with crossover elements, such as shifters and/or vampires.
- Contemporary-based sci-fi. Think DNA-enhanced soldiers, super soldiers, medical issues, military, artificial intelligence, hackers and international espionage, and Outbreak.
- I would love to see sci-fi stories in the style of 12 Monkeys, Firefly, and Star Wars.
- Tropes I love: Best friend’s sibling, class warfare, enemies to lovers, fake engagement/relationship, fish out of water, fling, forbidden love, friends to lovers, military, opposites attract, redemption, protector, return to hometown, revenge, sibling’s ex-spouse, stranded, royalty.
Wendy Chen, Editor
- I would love to find a fresh, modern voice for a small-town Bliss romance. Relationship of Convenience is a favorite trope. I would love to see main characters who have a soft spot for animals, and a strong, relatable heroine.