Top 5 Reasons I love writing New Adult romance.
It should come as no surprise that I am IN LOVE with NA romance. I eat, sleep, and breathe college-aged love stories. It all started when I read this little book called Easy by Tammara Webber. After that, I began demolishing the category and wanted to try writing one myself. I ended up writing two in a little less than a year! Why do I love it so much? Oh, I’m glad you asked.
1. Wouldn’t it be great to have a do-over of your college years? I don’t know about you, but I made A TON of mistakes. This *might* be the understatement of the century. When I write my characters, I think about all the ways my life could have gone differently and what other types of trouble someone in their early 20s could get into.
2. It’s a great escape from real life! I have an almost-two-year-old hell on wheels. Whenever I’m having a particularly hard day, I think back to college when the most responsibility I had was turning in chem papers and making it to class on time. All while taking a nap in the middle of the day. Boy, were those the days!
3. College life is FUN to write about. From the outrageous parties with disco light flooring (and the unfortunate excess of Axe body spray) to napping in the Memorial Union, life as a college student is never boring. Why not write about the most exciting part of a new adult’s life?
4. THE ANGST. I don’t know about you, but a good tear-jerker is good for the soul. When I wrote Unethical, one scene in particular gutted me, but it was also cathartic putting it on paper. The not-knowing-what-to-do part of college (and maybe most of my adult life) was one I was very familiar with and I hope readers can relate.
5. And last, but certainly not least, I love writing college boys. They mess up. Big time. But they more than make up for it in eagerness to make up for their mistakes. I love writing lovable nice guys who make typical 20-something mistakes. Nothing makes me happier than seeing them get their happily ever afters.
All in all, New Adult is such a blast to write!
Leave a Reply