Hey there –
First off, everyone’s writing process is different, so some writers need silence. I get it.
But I’m not one of those writers.
Music was my first love! I was a professional opera singer before I ever wrote my first book. I was on my way to a music degree when life took a turn in another direction. But when I started writing, I quickly leaned into my love of music to really be the inspiration engine for my writing.
I build book playlists before I ever write the first word of a new book. I usually have some movie soundtracks for each series and that “theme” music will be on every book playlist for that series, and then I go in search of songs that speak to the characters or the title.
For my latest release, Pirate’s Protector, I had 141 songs on the playlist! I’m not going to list them all here, but I thought I’d give you my Top 5 highlights so you can get a flavor for the book.
- He’s a Pirate! This theme is of course on every book playlist for the Sentinels of Savannah Series and Pirate’s Protector.
- LA Song – The flavor of this song really helped me channel my mermaid heroine. Annika was hardened and exhausted when she started this book. She has had enough of being on earth. (Don’t worry, Duke reminds her how to smile and laugh, and this warrior mermaid even learns to love… My heart!)
- Iris – This song really inspired Duke and his feelings for Annika. “All I can taste is this moment” was his motto that has gotten him through immortality. He lives in the present, no crying for the past or dreaming for the future, only the now.
- The Pirate’s Gospel – This one is another song on all the Sentinels of Savannah playlists. It not only gets me in the mood for pirate’s but it has a Savannah kind of feeling for me too!
- Nightlight – This was Annika’s feelings for Duke. He really was her light… Every word of this song could have come from her lips to Duke.
I hope you’ll give Pirate’s Protector a try!
After two centuries as an immortal pirate, Duke Proctor figures he’s experienced pretty much everything. Which is exactly when he finds himself held at gunpoint…by a mermaid. But the exquisitely lush blonde—whose eyes are deeper than the sea—is here for a reason. Someone has stolen from her and she’s certain Duke is behind it.
Annika Mare knows for a fact that the Sea Dog’s crew has her comb. In the wrong hands, it places Annika under the control of whoever wields it. But the comb has been taken—and working with this unbelievably sexy human pirate to recover it poses an entirely different kind of threat.
Now these two immortals must find the thief, and fast. But there are other forces at work, bigger than Duke or Annika could possibly know. And a powerful artifact in the hands of evil isn’t nearly as dangerous as the sizzlingly-hot attraction that could engulf them both…
Where to find:
Lisa Kessler is an Amazon Best Selling and award winning author of dark paranormal fiction. Her debut novel, Night Walker, won a San Diego Book Award for Best Published Fantasy-Sci-fi-Horror as well as the Romance Through the Ages Award for Best Paranormal and Best First Book. Her short stories have been published in print anthologies and magazines, and her vampire story, Immortal Beloved, was a finalist for a Bram Stoker award. When she’s not writing, Lisa is a professional vocalist, performing with the San Diego Opera as well as other musical theater companies in San Diego. You can learn more at http://Lisa-Kessler.com She loves hearing from readers – LdyDisney@aol.com