Who wants some Easter eggs? Maybe I’m two months too early for real Easter eggs, but it’s always the right time for literary Easter eggs. Confused? Easter eggs are hidden gems, or inside jokes, authors include inside their writing.
In celebration of my contemporary novella, Flirting with the Competition, being free – that’s right, FREE – this week, I thought I would share some Easter eggs you can find in the story. Enjoy!
1. This story takes place in an elevator in the middle of Washington, DC. I tend to set almost all of my stories in DC, Pennsylvania, or Virginia. I went to college in DC, live in VA now, and I grew up in PA. This is also very self-serving – I don’t have to do as much research! #lazykerri
2. My heroine, Whitney, went to Georgetown Law. This is a nod to my alma mater, Georgetown University (undergrad, not law school). Hoya Saxa!
3. My hero, Jordan, offers Whitney wild cherry Lifesavers while they’re stuck in the elevator together. I specifically chose wild cherry because I love cherry anything – Popsicles, cough drops, alcoholic beverages, you name it!
4. Most of the story takes place the day before Fourth of July. I had to go with this holiday because July 4th is my favorite. I love sparkles, and to me, fireworks are just extra large sparkles in the sky. *glitter toss*
5. I *may* have a bit of road rage. (Most people who live in the DC-area do as well.) While Whitney and Jordan are stuck in an elevator together, they actually met before that. She cut him off on the road and then he almost runs her over in the parking garage. They have a huge driving-related fight where I got to let out tons of my road rage-aggression, including this line, “I bet you’re the type of driver who pulls out at the speed of light, cuts off brand-new cars all the time, and then proceeds to go slow as Moses?” I have a lot of driving no-nos, but cars that pull out in front of you and then go super slow are THE WORST!
My most favorite TV show of all time is Saved by the Bell. When I first wrote this story I decided to have the two main characters watch a couple episodes of SBTB on their phones and even sing the theme song. “When you wake up in the morning….” Sadly, it didn’t make it into the final cut. But don’t worry – I’ll find ways of slipping Zack, Kelly, Bayside, and The Max into other stories.
Thanks for letting me share my Easter eggs with you today! Make sure you pick up a copy of Flirting with the Competition while it’s free. Also, remember to check out the entire Lovestruck line, which is on sale through February 21.
Award-winning romance author Kerri Carpenter writes contemporary romances for Entangled Publishing that are sweet, sexy, and sparkly. Her next release, Tempting Mr. Wrong, book 2 in the Wrong Man series, will be out in March 2016. Kerri enjoys reading, cooking, watching movies, taking Zumba classes, rooting for Pittsburgh sports teams, and anything sparkly. Kerri lives in Northern Virginia with her adorable (and mischievous) rescued poodle mix, Harry. Visit Kerri at her website, on Facebook and Twitter, or subscribe to her newsletter.