Fall is here! Let us rejoice! Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte is back, the leaves are changing colors, and all is right with the world. Oh, and the holidays are right around the corner (Though some might not like reminding them of that. Only 80 days until Christmas)!
Our editors at Entangled Publishing are always looking for the next breakout hit. Could that be your book? Make sure to read until the end as we have some special calls as well. Each month, we have a new wish list from our editors. Watch for them as they’ll change monthly. Let’s discover each other today! All submissions can be sent through our Submittable system. The link can be found here: http://www.entangledpublishing.com/submission-information/
October 2017 wish list
Candace Havens, Editorial Director of Embrace and Amara
- Embrace: We’re looking for high-concept stories that feature a great romance with college or just out of college heroes and heroines. We love heroes with accents, preferably, British, Irish or Scottish, and we like them Alpha. American heroes are great, just so you know. But no whiny heroes. Study abroad stories, intern first job stories, it’s actually wide open to those first experiences of adulthood. We need contemporary and paranormal stories that have a great twist and are relatable.
- Amara: We’re looking for unforgettable romances with big, high-concept, compelling stories, with strong heroes and heroines who can go toe-to-toe with them. Contemporary: Office romance, military romance, small town with a twist, big city “Friends” kind of stories. Think Jill Shalvis, Kristin Higgins and Susan Elizabeth Phillips. Paranormal: Vamps, werewolves, cyborgs (with mostly human parts), lots of great world building with a strong romantic arc. If you’re a budding Gena Showalter or Kresley Cole, we should chat. Historical: We want these historicals to read like contemporary romances with a great pace, snappy dialogue and characters we’ll never forget. Lorraine Heath is a good example of that kind of writing. We’re looking for Scottish Highlanders, Regency, Victorian and Vikings. Suspense: Bring us your thrillers with a strong romantic arc.
Heather Howland, Creative Director of Teen and Editorial Director of Lovestruck
- I’m on the hunt for a high-concept bad boy YA romance for Crush and/or Teen Print. My list is full of nice guys and sweet romance, and it’s time to go bad…
- I want to acquire a super steamy single-title contemporary series featuring unapologetic asshole heroes whose attitudes are a smokescreen for the kind of redeemable heart only the heroine can draw out of him. I want the heroines in this series to be relatable, everyday girls who have a mind of their own and a mindset that they can make the world a better place, no matter how small their contribution. I’m willing to help plot these, but bring some series concepts when you query me. Depending on the characters’ ages, this could go Amara (adult) or Embrace (new adult).
- Send me your M/F/M or M/M/F ménage for our Scorched imprint. My favorites fall on opposite ends of the spectrum—either strangers to lovers, or friends to lovers. The books must have a HEA and a satisfying romance. I’m open to contemporary or paranormal.
- PLEASE NOTE: At this time, I’m not interested in celebrities, politicians, chefs/caterers/bakers, makeover books, or second-chance romance.
Heidi Shoham, Editorial Director of August and Indulgence
- Send me your billionaires!
- I want wealthy alpha heroes for the Indulgence imprint! Those multi-layered billionaires who sweep the likable heroines of their feet! I’d like more international heroes and exotic settings. The heroines need be the everyday woman who get swept away by alpha heroes who can make all their dreams come true. Indulgence heroes can be grumpy and tough on the outside, as long as we also get to see that heart of gold they’re hiding. Conflict is super important! We need internal and external conflicts that are strong enough to carry the book all the way through! I’m looking for fresh ideas and voices, twists and unique tellings of those favorite tropes. Secret baby/accidental pregnancy can be so good when done right! Best friends little sister…yes please! Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, ugly duckling, mistaken identity, forced proximity, all good. Hollywood and celebrities…little tougher to sell.
- I’m so excited about AUGUST, the new category imprint we’re launching with characters aged 35 to 45. I want layered, emotional stories, likable and relatable heroines, hot heroes, authentic dialogue, and strong and believable conflicts that knock me off my feet and carry the book from beginning to end! I really want to see single dads doing their best, characters looking at that next stage of their life as their high school kids need them a little less, people starting over and/or maybe on their second time around. I need strong conflict here, more than just an ex who burned them and gave them trust issues. I’m talking engaging meetcutes, intense conflicts, and interesting characters who are believable and layered.
Imprint wide, I’m always looking for:
- High concept plots that grab me in one sentence.
- Favorite tropes with a fresh voice or twist.
- Hotter than hot erotic romances (think hot stepbrothers, sexy ménages)
- Cowboys, cowboys, cowboys
- Men in uniform/veterans/first responders
- Shifters – especially wolves and bears, with that strong family/pack element to it (think N.J. Walters)
- Angsty heroes with a snarky sense of humor (think Dean Winchester *swoon*).
- If you have something on my wish list, I want to see your submission!
- Submit to my attention via Submittable.
- Come on, make all my wish come true!
Karen Grove, Senior Editor
Although I’m open to a great love story of any kind, this month I’d like to focus on the following things I’d like to add to my list:
- HEROES: Military, search-and-rescue, coast guard, reserve, special forces. (Especially if they attend an academy where work and play collide in a tight-knit community.) Guys who put their lives on the line to protect and help others. Would love something set in the thick of a hurricane, where stakes are high and these men are out there saving lives.
- HEROINES: Everyday women who are strong and opinionated, maybe a little quirky, and with a well-developed sense of humor. Then tug them out of their comfort zone and place them in extraordinary circumstances or places/people that challenge them.
- SPORTS: Hockey (ice or roller), lacrosse, rugby, rodeo/cowboy
- TROPES: Forbidden romance, forced proximity, fish out of water, opposites attract, boss/employee, enemies to lovers, bad boy reformed
- LINES: Embrace, Amara, Teen, Lovestruck, August, Ignite
Kate Brauning, Senior Editor
- Sweet to spicy adult romance that revolves around clever and surprising set-ups, especially with strong sense of place and a vibrant community feel.
- Adult romantic suspense, especially featuring hackers.
- YA horse books! Racing, training, dressage, jumping, anything competitive. Lots of detail and that human-animal bond, and of course a strong central romance.
- Really swoony YA romance with a deep and compelling unrequited or impossible love story in any genre. Something that gets into our bones and makes us ache for the impossible romance. Make me think of Anna and St. Clair, or Starbuck and Apollo, or the early seasons of Elena and Damon, or what Rory and Jess should have been!
- YA sci-fi set on Earth in modern-day with a strong romance. Something with a Leftoversor Stranger Things
- NA romance with a unique twist we haven’t seen before. Emergency response personnel? Yes please! Swift water rescue, aviation medicine, anything beyond firefighters and paramedics, though those are great, too. I’d love to see this in adult as well.
- Beyond genre, I always want big stories about normal people, emotional depth with a lot of insight, voice that shows a unique personality and character depth.
Lydia Sharp, Editor
Sweet romance for the Bliss line! What I’d especially like to see are: fun stories with heart; a small-town community that feels new in some way; characters who work in the veterinary field but not necessarily with dogs/cats; characters with a strong family dynamic; characters with a unique cultural background; stories set in winter but not centered around a holiday; unique setting is a plus; humor is a plus.
Fun alpha heroes for the Indulgence line! I’d love to see stories that are drop-dead sexy + laugh-out-loud fun; think beyond the typical CEO and give him a business that doesn’t feel stuffy or mundane; “everyday/worker bee” heroines in interesting career fields they are passionate about; characters with a unique cultural background; sex-positive heroines; alpha heroes with vulnerability; witty/dirty banter is a plus; unique setting and/or travel outside the US is a plus.
ALWAYS looking for more YA! Sci-fi, fantasy, or contemp with a high concept hook and smart, sharp writing. Still on the hunt for the next great dragon story in a contemporary fantasy world, with lots of action and forbidden kisses; thriller vibe is a plus; humor is a plus but not looking for “campy.” Would love to see more lead characters and/or supporting characters across the sexual identity and gender identity spectrum, and characters with a unique cultural background. Tough moral choices are a plus. Teen voice is a must.
Stacy Abrams, Editorial Director of Entangled Teen, Crush, and Crave
Stacy is actively looking to acquire for the Entangled Teen Crush line. Tropes she’d love to see more of are: older brother’s best friend, enemies to lovers, bad boy reformed, or matchmaker. The line has also never tackled an accidental pregnancy story, but for teen readers it would have to be handled in just the right way (sensitively). Stacy would love to see stories of any plotting in more unique settings: study abroad, kids living in big cities like New York or LA, or unique job settings like a water park or restaurant. Please be sure to review the Crush guidelines before submitting to make sure your story’s plot beats, word count, and POVs fit the line.
Tera Cuskaden, Editorial Director of Scorched
- High concept plots I can sell in one sentence.
- I’m looking for romance with great romantic tension between alpha males and strong, relatable heroines. I’d also love to see alpha subs!
- I’m particularly interested in menage/multiples, relatable heroines, alpha men, LGBTQ, diversity, royalty, and taboos. I want super-hot stories that while at an erotic heat level with the sexual interaction occurring within the first chapter or two also heavily focus on the romance. All stories must contain an HEA or HFN. I’m open to 1st and 3rd person, and I prefer dual POVs, though I’m not closed to single POVs. I’m also looking at all subgenres for Scorched, not just contemporary romance, though I love contemporary! I’m a fan of Megan Hart, Maya Banks, Lorelei James, Tiffany Reisz, Sylvia Day, Madison Faye, Jenika Snow, Penny Wylder, and Alexa Riley.
- Menage paranormal and sci-fi romance. Think breeders, fated mates and/or a woman bonded to two men.
- Tropes I love: Best friend’s sibling, class warfare, enemies to lovers, fake engagement/relationship, fish out of water, fling, forbidden love, friends to lovers, opposites attract, redemption, protector, return to hometown, revenge, sibling’s ex-spouse, stranded, royalty.
For All Other Entangled Imprints
- High concept plots that will sell in one sentence.
- I’d love to see romances with single dads.
- Romantic suspense/thrillers. I’d love to see stories with a more psychological basis.
- Sexy contemporaries featuring everyday, relatable heroines (think teacher, nurse, veterinarian, etc.), and above-average heroes (though they don’t have to be billionaires, unless you’re targeting Indulgence).
- Manuscripts targeted toward the Indulgence imprint (Here’s where those billionaires come into play!)
- Men in uniform or veterans.
- Sports stories.
- Women on vacation and/or stories taking place in exotic locales.
- I’m looking for paranormal romance with great romantic tension between alpha males and strong, relatable heroines. I’m open to all genres and themes, though I am specifically looking for shifters (big cats and bears in particular), vampires, and science fiction/fantasy with crossover elements, such as shifters and/or vampires.
- Contemporary-based sci-fi. Think DNA-enhanced soldiers, super soldiers, medical issues, military, artificial intelligence, hackers and international espionage, and Outbreak.
- I would love to see sci-fi stories in the style of 12 Monkeys, Firefly, and Star Wars.
- Tropes I love: Best friend’s sibling, class warfare, enemies to lovers, fake engagement/relationship, fish out of water, fling, forbidden love, friends to lovers, military, opposites attract, redemption, protector, return to hometown, revenge, sibling’s ex-spouse, stranded, royalty.
Wendy Chen, Editor
Wendy Chen would love to find a fresh new contemporary voice for Bliss. I’d love to read about a surprise baby, a hero who stands up for what’s right even if those around him think it’s wrong, and a heroine who works with animals.