‘Tis the season for Gluten,Grain-Free Shortbread Cookies with Victoria James!
SERVES: 2 dozen
2 1/4 cups almond flour
1/4 cup arrowroot powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup palm shortening*
*This recipe was tested using Tropical Traditions palm shortening. Cold grass-fed butter may be substituted in, but reduce the amount to 1/3 cup.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- In a stand mixer or food processor, combine the almond flour, arrowroot powder, and sea salt.
- Add the maple syrup and mix until combined.
- Drop the palm shortening into the mixing bowl in 1 tablespoon increments for easier incorporation. Pulse a few times until a crumbly ball forms.
- Place the ball of dough in between two pieces of parchment paper. With a rolling pin, roll into a 1/2 inch thick disk. Cut into small bricks or cut using biscuit cutters.
- Place the cut cookies onto the baking sheet lined with parchment. Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.
- Once baked, place on a cooling rack to cool. Once fully cooled, store in air-tight container or bag in the fridge.
Note: If you choose to flatten the edges with a fork like I did, your cookies will be 1/4 inch thick instead of 1/2 inch.
There’s nothing like homemade baking during the holiday season! Since giving up gluten a few years ago, I’ve had to find new favourites that the entire family would love.
I never tell my kids that something is gluten/grain/refined-sugar free because I know they’ll then say it just doesn’t taste as good…so now I never get complaints!
I also use a lot of Paleo recipes for my father who was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes a few years ago. Because these recipes are lower in carbs and have no refined sugars, they don’t spike his blood sugar. Win-Win for all of us!
Below is a delish recipe from an awesome blogger/cookbook author. I’ve tried so many of her recipes and have never been disappointed.
So, two of my favourite things? Fresh coffee and these Grain-Free Shortbread Cookies. Mine don’t look nearly as pretty as the ones on the blog, but it doesn’t really matter because they never last that long ;-).
Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and Happy Baking!
Don’t miss Entangled’s 25 Days of Holiday Steals, happening now! We’re celebrating a different book each day, from now until December 25th, and each book will be on sale for just 99¢ on their dedicated spotlight day! So join in the festivities, and help us celebrate all month long!
**On sale today for just 99¢!**
About The Billionaire’s Christmas Proposal:
She’s everything he wants for Christmas…
Social worker Allison Barrington’s home went up in smoke, literally, a month before Christmas. Now the guardian of her teenage sister and a crazy pup, she shows up on the doorstep of the only man in the city she can trust. Resisting Ethan Dane had never been easy, but luckily, Allie isn’t into cutthroat playboy businessmen. And Ethan is as driven as they come.
Ethan Dane has wanted Allie since the moment he laid eyes on her at their best friends’ wedding. Having her in his home is the perfect chance to prove to her that their chemistry can’t be denied, but when he finds out that the biggest business coup of his career means destroying the youth center where Allie works, Ethan is forced to decide what kind of man he wants to be…
Find it online: